Monday, November 24, 2008

Negative Space...



I love the metal screens Wendy posted and they are reminiscent of some of the metalwork aorund my own home.
This is one of two identical metal gates at the entrance to my courtyard:








Once in the courtyard there is a mounted steel piece which is the scrap from when the artist, Robert Phillips (www.phillipsmetal.com), cut the leaves for the gate out. Personally, I find it a more interesting piece than any of the others as in addition to being beautiful, it provides a lot of insight to the artists sustainable process of having as little left over metal as possible. I think that one of the most intriguing things about it is the fact that the focal point is the negative space.


I took this investigation of negative space into the ginkgo leaves I've been collecting to combine them, leaving intentional holes as part of the pattern. Here are some samples:


From these, I traced the negative areas to highlight that space:

No comments:

Post a Comment